Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Vaccine clarification

A couple points I should have mentioned, which factor into my decision about vaccinations:

1) All infant and child vaccines are now available without thimerosol, the preservative put into many adult vaccines so they last longer without refrigeration which contains mercury. I find it absolutely insane that companies are allowed to put mercury into drugs that are intended to be injected straight into a person's muscle, and so I have refused any shots not made without thimerosol. I have been getting thimerosol-free flu shots for many years. If they don't just give it to me without making a big deal about it, I come back a different day and tell them I am pregnant, because for some reason they recognize that pregnant women should not get mercury vaccines, but think it's perfectly fine for non-pregnant people. I have been claiming pregnancy for many years for vaccine purposes. Non-mercury vaccines are non-negotiable to me, both for me and my children.

2) My kids are not in daycare and will not be for the foreseeable future. If Theo and Beck were going to go to daycare in the immediate future, I would probably reconsider whether they should get the pneumococcal and/or the rotavirus, because they would be exposed to lots of germs because of being around more kids and adults. I cannot imagine any scenario in which they would be in a care situation with other children or many other adults, so I have not factored this into my decision. They will certainly be around other children, but not on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. "My kids are not in daycare and will not be for the foreseeable future." Are you not going back to work??? Bob said you were going back around Thanksgiving???

    ReplyDelete