I had been truly enjoying my long nights of uninterrupted sleep, happy babies, and predictable naps. And then boom--both boys are sick again. They had been nursing snottiness for a week or so without any real troubles, but of course, when left with Grandma Joanie and Grandpa Stu for the weekend, both developed stomach bugs and their colds got worse. By Saturday night both boys had thrown up several times, were refusing most food (but not liquid, luckily) and were feeling pretty crappy. Just in time for Daddy and Mama Lovebo to come home....
Jeff and I went to New York for the weekend (well, Friday morning to Saturday evening) and enjoyed feeling like a couple again. We had discussed various museums or other attractions to visit but in the end decided mostly to wander. So much of our lives are constricted by the babies' schedules and needs that it was nice to have only ourselves to worry about for a few days. We got to see our friends Charlotte, Joanne and Alex, Karen and Liz, and Severin. Friday we wandered around Times Square and marveled at all the screens (so few signs these days!) and interesting people. We took a walk around Rockefeller Center and then wandered into Bergdorf Goodman, where the salesladies were generous and accommodating to let me drool over jewelry and handbags, and Jeff to finger all the beautiful (and somewhat strange) mens' fashions. Saturday we visited the African Burial Ground National Monument in lower Manhattan, which was small but truly fantastic, and Trinity Church, which is a powerful monument to 9-11. It was a great trip and if the boys hadn't been so sick I think it would have been a better experience for them and for Grandma Joanie and Grandpa Stu. We'll definitely try to get away for a night just to ourselves again soon.
Yesterday we took the boys for their long-scheduled consult at the Ear Nose and Throat specialists. We saw a nurse practitioner who rather cursorily advised both boys to get tubes in their ears. I certainly don't want their language to be delayed because of poor hearing or pressure in their ears, nor do I want them to be in pain from repeated ear infections, but I'm not convinced that tubes are warranted in their case, or for what reasons. We're going back in about a month to talk to the surgeon, and one thing I'm interested in hearing about is alternate approaches, including chiropractic care, physical therapy, or other medications. If anyone else knows about any of these ideas, I would love to hear about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment