Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Zoo Trip

Yesterday I asked the boys, as I often do in the morning, what they want to do that day. I was expecting that I would get the usual response, which is either grunting or "LAWNMOWER!" from Beckett. Instead, Beck said, very clearly, "zoo!" To which I had no response, because I didn't think he knew that word and we hadn't been to the zoo for months. So I asked, "why do you want to go to the zoo?" Beck said "ANIMALS!" Stunned, I said, "let's get our coats and shoes on, then!" And we went to the zoo.

It was an awesome day at the zoo. The first stop was the lions, who we haven't seen in a while because they are not on display in the winter months. But they were out and walking around. Dada Lion took a nice big poop and one of the lady lions had a long drink at the pond while the other lady wrestled with Dada. Then Dada came over to the window right in front of us and roared for about two or three minutes. He was so close that his breath steamed up the glass. I know that all of this is horrible animal abuse and evidence that the animals are stressed and all of that BUT it was awesome nonetheless.

Then on top of it the zoo is renovating and so a huge part of the middle part outside is torn up. There are a dozen or so excavators and backhoes and front loaders and workers all digging and dumping and working, which is a show in and of itself. The elephants were also up and around, as were the tigers, but the lions and the diggers were worth the price of admission (which is zero, because we have a $50 annual membership). And we were gone and back in less than 90 minutes. All in all, a first class day at the zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment