Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pulling their weight


The boys are very interested in helping out with pretty much everything that's not super appropriate for them to help with. We've washed the cars a couple of times and they do a great job spraying the car and everything (and everyone) and sponging the car and squeezing soap out everywhere. They helped me wash off furniture I'm cleaning up to try to sell, sponging it off and rinsing. They also like emptying the dishwasher and bringing up toys from the basement. When they bring their dishes into the kitchen after a meal, Beckett especially likes to throw his (plastic) silverware and bowls/plates into the sink.

I'm happy that the boys are more and more using please, thank you, excuse me and other polite niceties. There's also a lot of whiny demands of "talk to me mama, talk to me!" But then there's a moment like today after nap when I had already agreed to let the boys watch a short show, and then they disagreed about what they were going to watch. They were both complaining to me about how they each wanted to watch their own preferred show, and I told them that they had to work it out among themselves. I then watched them have a conversation in which they told each other what they wanted, and listened to each other, and came to the conclusion that they would watch Theo's preferred show today, and save Beckett's preferred show to tomorrow. A-mazing! (Also because Theo is more prone to giving in than Beckett, so Beckett giving in today was refreshing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment