I told Beckett I had picked up his blanket on the floor. He said,
"That's good, Mama. You might fall if the blanket was there. You don't
want to fall, because then you might hurt the baby. If you hurt the
baby, the baby would cry, and then your belly would be all wet."
Theo
is still expressing a lot of reticence about going to school. We have
been asking him in different ways what it is he doesn't like, but we
haven't gotten much from him generally. This weekend we were talking
about what day it was, and what was going to happen that day and future
days, and he got anxious about going to school on Monday (as per usual).
I asked him why he didn't like going to school, and he said that at
school Miss Mo tells him to do things that are too hard for him, and he
wants to stop but Miss Mo tells him to finish it. It was my first clue
about what goes on at school for them. I asked Beckett about it, and he
said that when Miss Mo tells him to do something, he does it, and it's
not too hard for him. I'm not sure if what Theo is talking about
happened once, or has happened repeatedly. Theo tends to be very
sensitive about scolding and not feeling competent. I'll have to ask
Miss Mo about it. On another day, Theo was again complaining about
having to go to school, and when I asked him why he didn't want to go,
he said he wants to do whatever he wants and he doesn't like it when
Miss Mo tells him what to do. Beckett then said, "You can't just do
whatever you want all the time, Theo." Right on, Beck.
Needless
to say, Theo was thrilled about the snow day we had Monday 2/9 and when
he woke up Wednesday, he ran to the window with a huge expectant grin
on his face and said "Is there too much snow to go to school today?"
Death:
the boys have recently become interested in death. I believe it started
with a discussion about a picture in the dining room of Jeff and his
grandfather at our wedding, which also led to a discussion about where
Daddy's grandpa is now. In the last few months I have gotten a couple
questions a week about death, or heard conversations between the boys
about death. Some common themes are: I don't want to die. Is (name of
relative or friend) going to die? Am I going to die? When am I going to
die? Do trees die? Do tigers die?
As these discussions have progressed, and they have gotten used to my saying that everyone dies, even plants and
animals, they have started saying things like "We don't know when we're
going to die." It's a difficult conversation to have and I'm not sure
how much they are understanding of it, but I'm fascinated by their first
questions and explorations of a very difficult topic.
Some
big words Beckett has used spontaneously, appropriately, and in context
in the last week: fragile and stabilize. (As in, while I was helping
him put his new shoes on, "Mama, hold my shoe to stabilize it.")
No comments:
Post a Comment