Grandma Kathy came up for a very important 24 hours last week while Jeff was away and Beckett had his frenectomy. He has had a top lip tie forever, and he probably would have had a tougher time nursing if he hadn't had a twin to start the milk flowing for him. Their dentist has been telling me that we'll have to get it done at some point but it's only been in the last year that Beck has been able to tolerate even a basic teeth cleaning. He listens to everything and asked about what the dentist had been talking about at his last cleaning. I explained that he had an extra piece of skin that connected his lip to his teeth that gave him a blister on his lip and made it tight in his mouth. We talked about how the dentist would use a laser to cut the extra skin. That was a few months ago. About a month ago, he asked when he was going to go to the dentist to have it done, because it was bugging him. I made the appointment the next day.
Beck was a total champ and did not move a muscle during the entire 10 minute ordeal. He had nitrous oxide and novocaine and apparently felt no pain. He watched cartoons on the ceiling and held on tight to a rubber crab in his lap as they suctioned away the blood and snipped away with scissors on the inside of his mouth. He had a little swelling that night and the next morning but has not complained one bit about pain or discomfort. I think he's still getting used to the feeling in his mouth of not having the lip tie. He's also been very cooperative with the mouth rinsing and blotting it with a cleaning solution twice a day.






Wow, what a champion Beckett is. I had to Google "frenectomy" and "lip tie." I'd never heard of it. -Anne
ReplyDelete