Monday, October 28, 2019

Mystery reader: Taco edition


The boys' school welcomes parents as mystery readers, which means the kids don't know which parent is coming in to read, so when the parent shows up, it's a surprise. I was scheduled for October 19, which coincided with my finishing my homemade taco costume for Halloween. My complete costume is Abraham Taco, which is the taco on the bottom and a black stovetop hat and beard. Not wanting to miss a chance to wear my new costume, I tried to find a way to incorporate a costume into my mystery reader gig. Luckily I found one of the boys' favorite books, Dragons Love Tacos, as well as a biography about Abraham Lincoln that the boys like. I went to each boy's classroom and asked whether they wanted me to read the Abraham Lincoln book or the Dragons Love Tacos book, prepared to dress in either costume depending on their answer. Both classes chose Dragons Love Tacos, so I got the chance to put my taco costume on in both rooms.

One of my favorite memories of that day will be when I brought the books in to Theo's room, and the kids chose, and then I told them I would be right back. Theo face-palmed, anticipating (correctly) what was coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment