The boys' vocabularies have been growing, mostly in words that only a few of us can understand. For a while it seemed like Theo was content to have Beckett be the spokesperson of the group, and his language was lagging, but over the last few weeks Theo has really bumped up his speaking. Their social skills have also been advancing, and it's very fun to watch.
Beckett calls Theo "Zee-Zee" and himself "Buh-Buh". The other names I hear in the house a lot (besides Mama and Dada) are Du (Stu), Mimi (Mindy), Marp (Mark), and Dit (Dick, AKA the owner of the boat we rode in in Florida last month). Also Elmo, I think because I bought some new bibs with Sesame Street characters on them.
A couple nights ago Theo was having a hard time after we put them down for bed. I came upstairs and reassured him that Mama and Dada were right outside his bedroom keeping him safe, and that Beckett was in the bed right next to him. I continued talking to Theo (as Beckett roamed his crib, grinning and humming to himself), and then again said that Mama and Dada were right outside keeping him safe. Beckett then looked up, grinned, thumped his chest, and said "Buh-Buh?" I loved that Beck was trying to reassure Theo.
Sunday morning I asked Beckett if he was ready to have breakfast. He said yes, and I asked him what he wanted to eat. He said "Cheerios!" I asked him what Theo would like to eat for breakfast. He said "Oat!" which means oat squares. I was impressed that Beckett knew that Theo usually prefers oat squares. I guess I think of kids as thinking everyone wants what they want, but Beckett knows that Theo likes something different than him.
Theo has moments of incredible intuitiveness. Last week Mindy took the boys to see our neighbor whose husband died several months ago. The boys played while they talked, and when it was time to leave, Corinne asked if she could have a hug. Beck, as usual, refused. Theo looked up at Corinne with his shy smile and gave her a big warm hug. Mindy tells me that Corinne lingered with the hug and then said Theo had made her day.
Sharing seems to be becoming a little less traumatic for everyone. When we were vacuuming last week the boys did a great job of cleaning the floors (truly, we're only a few months away from plugging in the vacuum and directing them to the areas needing pick-up). But the most astounding part of the experience was that the other would patiently wait, off to the side of the rug, when the other was vacuuming. Then when I suggested it was time to share, the one with the vacuum would drop it and move off to the side so the other could take it. There are still LOTS of fights over stuff in the house but it seems to be getting better.
We've also started that phase of pointing at one another to try to deflect attention. I haven't seen it yet when they get in trouble (they rarely get into much real trouble, or when they do I know perfectly well who did what) but I have seen it when I announce something like "It's time to brush teeth!" or "Who needs a new diaper?" They both usually say the other one's name and point to the other. My favorite is when I ask "Who needs a diaper?" and one of them helpfully suggests, "Mama?" Thanks, guys, I appreciate the confidence in my toileting.
I love all your posts and photos about the boys but there is something about this one, plus the all-around bad day/week I've had, that was extra sweet. Love how B was reassuring T, and the breakfast thing about oats. Thank you for delivering me some virtual baby therapy. :) I miss you guys. -Anne
ReplyDelete