About two months ago I heard about this book by Karen LeBillon and ordered it on Amazon. I'm not the biggest fan of parenting advice books (mostly because they take time to read and make me feel inadequate) but for some reason the idea of the book resonated with me. I had been struggling with getting the boys to taste things, to try new things, to eat vegetables, and to eat "enough". The lessons of the book are:
This book has been a godsend for me. It has reinforced my nascent It has been very freeing to be reminded and encouraged that kids will not starve to death if they miss one meal or if they do not snack. I've been used to seeing Theo and Beckett as itty bitty guys because they were born premature, but they are perfectly healthy and normal now (and have been for some time), and they are not going to die if they miss a meal because they refuse to eat or miss a cheese stick for a snack.
The biggest things I needed help with were saying no to snacks and sticking to the rule that kids eat what adults eat, no short-order cooking. When they are with the grandparents or we're at someone's house and there's a special kids' meal, we'll go with it. But at home, we simply make a little more of what we're already making. There are nights they eat very little because they don't love it, but they haven't yet starved to death overnight. No snacking means they're hungrier for meals and will try more things and eat more of things they don't initially love. It's not a dogma; it's common sense. There are also some good recipes at the back. I'm very grateful I found this book!
No comments:
Post a Comment