Saturday, September 14, 2013

Terrible Twos

I think we have arrived at the Terrible Twos. There is a fair amount of crying, whining, and fighting over toys, and naps since toddler beds have become a major issue. The boys nap great for Mindy but Jeff and I are still struggling very much with naps. I know that it's a natural developmentally appropriate stage but gosh darn! it's hard. They laugh in our faces when we say no, when we put them in their beds, when we use our sternest voices, and when we are at the edge of our limit. I know it's not about us but it is so difficult not to take it personally! Mindy helped me understand that returning the boys to their beds when they got out at naps was only creating a situation in which the naughty boy could put on a show for the other. I think it's why they have been taking turns getting out of their beds; they get to watch the other one get Mama all riled up, which makes both of them laugh, and then have their own turn. Mindy came over Tuesday and did some Supernanny-style coaching with me, which gave me some new techniques and some strengthening of old techniques. When she puts them down for naps, they go down and stay down. We're looking forward to having that kind of result when we do it. One of her techniques is to put the boys in the corner when they misbehave, including not laying down for naps. It is very difficult to put your child in a corner, with his nose in the corner, while he cries. But I have to keep telling myself that changing their behavior is not meant to be easy, and it will not be done unless the consequence for not listening is unpleasant. I do not think that being put in the corner is physically or emotionally harmful, but it is unpleasant for them, and unpleasant for us. But I do think that setting boundaries and learning the importance of listening, both us to them and them to us, will pay dividends in time. They're doing everything they're supposed to be doing, and we have to learn what we have to do to keep them safe by creating boundaries and compassionately but firmly enforcing them. Please wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing everything you need to do. Patience and consistency is key. Can't wait until we see all of you next time.
    Grandpa Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dearest Bryn, I can't relate personally but I can understand and sympathize with how hard this must be. I guess they call them the Terrible Twos for a reason. I have one question out of mere curiosity - when you do the corner thing, how do you keep them there, if they don't want to be there? Don't they just run out of the corner, or do you just keep placing them back? Good luck and can't wait to see you guys again soon. xo. -Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Anne! Re: the corner. The boys will sometimes stay in the corner by themselves, but more often I stand near them or even physically block them from leaving. Mindy's technique, which I am trying to follow, is to get them to exhaust their whining and crying and decide they are ready to resume regular, nondisruptive behavior. This means that soon after they go in the corner (within 15 seconds, usually) I ask, are you ready to come out and _____ (go to bed, eat your dinner, say sorry to your brother). Then when they can get ahold of themselves enough to stop crying and say yes, I will get down on the floor with them, let them say what they want to say, and we give hugs and kisses. Again, I don't know if this is the "right" thing to do but I believe it is better than corporal punishment, and better than ignoring the bad (usually dangerous) behavior, and better than yelling and screaming. So we're trying this out for a little while.

      Delete
  3. Hm, OK, I see. Sounds like quite an ordeal, but also sounds like you're doing it exactly right, from my humble vantage point and my limited knowledge culled entirely from JoJo's infinite wisdom. :) -Anne

    ReplyDelete