I've been looking for a good local supplier of meat on and off for a while. This afternoon we took a trip out to Creekside Meadows Farm in New Woodstock, in Madison County (just east of Onondaga). The boys took a nap in the car on the way there (yea!) and we had a fun and exciting tour of the farm when we arrived. When we first arrived our tour was delayed because Trisha, the owner, had bought a new calf today and her son Cameron was attempting to persuade the calf out of the trailer and into a small pen they made for him. The sheepdogs were less than helpful in herding the calf. At one point the whole ruckus got within 10 feet of the boys.
Then right when Trish was taking us across the street to see the cows, I looked behind her and saw pigs running across the road. She and Cameron then spent 20 minutes trying to herd the pigs back to their pen.
We had time to commune with Maggie, the dairy cow who is surreptitiously nursing a beef calf. I love it.
After a stare-down she approached us and let me rub her nose and behind her ears. She mooed rather balefully as we left.
The chickens in their enclosure.
I just have to say I really enjoyed your use of "balefully."
ReplyDelete-Anne