Tuesday, September 2, 2014





Today the boys and I had a great visit with my friend Stacey and her kids Aria (above) and Jude, 5 weeks. My boys and Aria had some great reading time while Stacey fed Jude, and everyone had a great time!

This afternoon I struggled with Theo to nap after Beckett went right to sleep. I moved Theo to another room and returned him again and again to bed. I knew he was tired and he would even lay down motionless for several minutes at a time, but it was almost like he willed himself not to sleep. Finally I gave up after he peed a huge amount in the pack-and-play in the extra room, then after I made him get on the potty, he pooped a huge amount. Then I gave up and let him have quiet time downstairs, but told him that only Beck would get to watch the short Thomas movie after nap because Theo had not napped. I knew he was tired but it seemed like he was fighting sleep as well as he could. He was getting more and more tired and whiny as Beck continued napping. So just as Beck was about to wake up, Theo and I went upstairs and with very little fuss, Theo fell asleep. Whereas Beck had napped from 12:45-2:45, Theo slept from 3-4. It kind of makes sense that Theo doesn't get tired as early as Beck, which is why trying to get him to nap at the same time is sometimes (but not always) disastrous. It certainly complicates napping and any kind of activity planning for the afternoon, if they take turns napping, but on the other hand it allows for more one-on-one time with each of them while the other sleeps. I'm not sure if this holds up over time but we will see. I feel bad for taking three years to realize that they might have different napping needs. But I'm optimistic this will lead to a better nap groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment