Friday, January 30, 2015

Dentist visit

Tuesday the boys headed to the dentist for their six-month checkups. Since I brought them by myself for the first time, I brought the iPad loaded with games for the non-patient to use. Theo went first, which I hoped would help Beckett get used to the idea of laying back and getting his teeth cleaned. Instead, Beck happily grasped his tiger shark toy and played the monkey game on the iPad until it was his turn, when he screamed, kicked, punched and sobbed through about 5 minutes of cleaning his teeth while seated in my lap while I held his feet and hands and the dentist steadied his head between her elbows as she cleaned his teeth. She says that Beckett acts like a normal three-year-old but it only looks like he's behaving like a terror because Theo acts like a five-year-old. Theo calmly picks out his sunglasses, puts on his bib, lays back and opens wide. At one point he asked the dentist, who was talking to him to try to keep him distracted, to please be quiet so he could hear the tv (mounted on the ceiling). No pictures were taken of Beck's cleaning because my hands were completely occupied with holding his hands and feet and trying to stabilize his body so the dentist could clean his teeth.

Though he refused to talk about it for about an hour after we left the dentist, when we got home and calm I asked Beck what was so hard about the dentist. He said he didn't like lying down. He said he wanted to sit in my lap instead while the dentist cleaned his teeth. He said that next time he would open his mouth and not cry if he could just sit in my lap. I guess we'll try that next time.







2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the first trip to the dentist can be a little scary for the young ones. It sounds like you had a good doctor that did what she could to soothe him, but it may go better next time. Sitting in your lap sounds like it may be the best bet for him.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete