Friday, October 16, 2015
Last week I was part of a cool thing: a mom in California decided to send baby carriers to Greece to meet the Syrian refugees at the boats and in the refugee camps. She posted something on Facebook about it, it got to me somehow, and I started collecting carriers from my neighbors and co-workers. The organizer lady is of Greek heritage and is planning to go to Greece, to the island of Kos where her family is, and she has a plan of meeting families as boats land to hand out carriers and then going to refugee camps to meet with families there as well. She hoped to get a couple hundred carriers and some money to cover travel expenses but she's collected thousands and lots of money to buy new carriers at cost and cover logistics expenses as well. It feels really wonderful to be part of a movement to help refugees in a tangible way, mom to mom, in a way that I imagine could make a small difference. She asked us to pin notes of hope on the carriers, so I found some extra fabric and wrote in "sent with love from Syracuse, NY USA" on all of them. I sent twelve carriers as part of the effort, thanks to many good friends and neighbors (and five of my own)!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment