Monday, April 9, 2012

Getting Ready for Baths!


Getting two babies ready for baths, then bathing them, and then extricating them and dressing them all while never leaving babies unattended in the water can be stressful. I try to break down everything into small steps so that neither baby is alone at any point along the way. So I get them both undressed (down to their diapers) in their rooms, then take them both into the bathroom while I run the water. Then I take off both their diapers while in the bathroom. (Sometimes this small lag between diaper being off and being in the tub creates a small mess--it's a hazard of the process.) Then each is deposited in the water within 10 seconds of each other, so neither baby is out of arms' reach. After they are done playing and after I have washed them both, I drain the water while they are still in the tub so that when I leave the second baby in the tub to take the first out, there is no water left in the tub. (Again, another opportunity for pee outside the diaper.) I sometimes dry and dress them right in the bathroom so that there are no opportunities to drown themselves.

The truth is, the times that they have fallen face first in the water while playing, they have just pushed up like they do on solid ground, lifting their faces out of the water. They don't like it, but they don't just sit face first in the water. It's just too scary to contemplate so we try to exercise extreme caution around the bath!

Oh, and the laundry hamper is full of clean diapers. I take the time when they are playing in the tub to stuff our cloth diapers from my perch on the top of the toilet.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got your system down! One thing I do to minimize peeing on the floor is to put Toby on the potty after I take his diaper off, so he has a chance to do it there. Then I feel more confident in having some naked time, which he seems to like. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete