Monday, May 28, 2012

Feeling Grateful


The babies use anything they can get their hands on as a walker. Like this stepstool I used to find the banana bread pan.




We had a peaceful and relaxing Memorial Day weekend with Grandma Joanie and Grandpa Stu at the cottage on Cayuga Lake. I was worried that they would find a zillion things to poison or hurt themselves with, and that we would be running around like crazy chasing them. In fact, it was the most relaxed I have been since they started being this mobile. There was very little around they could hurt themselves with, and lots to have fun with. Beck enjoyed running alongside the futon, which was the perfect height to cruise on. Theo enjoyed just walking all around the cottage. He's gotten very good at walking, and can now move seamlessly from crawling to sitting to standing to walking and back. We brought lots of toys but they mostly enjoyed playing on or with the wood stove, pulling out knobs and clanging various levers. It was probably not a good idea to get them used to climbing all over it but I'm hoping they learn Curren-style to stay away from it when it's on. Maybe we won't even have to have it on this summer, we'll see. We also got to enjoy the new Lovebo suite, which is pretty sweet indeed. We have our own bedroom (formerly the screened porch) attached to the babies' room (formerly our room). Our new room is bright and light and airy and beautiful, with gorgeous new curtains Grandma Lovejoy made and tons more space. We were originally naysayers but we were wrong! I doubt we'll miss a lot of weekends at the cottage this summer!

I spent some time this weekend thinking about how lucky we are to spend time together as a family and for the many freedoms we have. I know a few moms through Multiple Moms Mingle, a group I'm involved in in Syracuse, whose husbands serve in the military and are gone much of the time. I am so lucky to have both sets of grandparents so close that they have meaningful relationships with my kids. I am so lucky that the war, genocide, trauma and poverty that affects so many millions across the world remains out of my backyard.



We have a gate installed at the top of the stairs but the babies don't seem to show much interest in going down, only in going up. They like to stand at the top and either act like prisoners, shaking the bars, or, if it is open, holding on to the sides and staring down at the void. This is Theo (above) and Beck not far behind (below).

 Theo hates most hats but seemed to love being in Grandpa Stu's baseball cap. He was SO PROUD OF HIMSELF!
 Below is one of Theo's favorite tricks--"Oh my goodness!" while slapping himself on the forehead. He will also do it when Daddy Lovebo says "DOH!"

 Hats from Grandma Joanie for their birthdays! Theo didn't seem to mind this one either!
 Beck and one of his favorite cousins, Samantha.
 Beck and Theo with another favorite cousin, Alex! Somehow everyone else was doing something else, making dinner or setting the table or whatever, and Alex was left alone with both babies. He kept them happy and entertained for a good while.

 Sam and Theo. After a day of enjoying his cousins Sam, Tabi and Alex both guys definitely needed some peace-out time, and Theo really enjoyed this chill session with Sam before dinner.
Daddy Lovebo grilling up a storm. He would like you to know that he checked neither time nor temperature on these turkey burgers, and they came out perfect! Who's got grilling skills?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment