Eating: The boys consistently eat a pretty good breakfast of applesauce and yogurt. I feed them another snack around 10:30 to hold them over through their naps, because I don't feed them lunch until after naps, which sometimes is as late as 2:30. For lunch they eat one or the other of toast and hummus, soup, fruit smoothie, sweet potatoes, pureed peas, cheese, leftovers (lasagne is a favorite; chunked meat is not), cubed steamed veggies, apple slices. They drink a healthy quantity of water throughout the day and at meals, which our pediatrician said is totally fine as long as they're also eating. She says that many kids this age (toddlers! can you believe it?) eat a lot one day, then next to nothing the following day, and that it's all totally normal.
Nursing: Amid the firestorm about that Time Magazine cover (not so much the article, which was really more a superficial bio of Dr. Sears, the author and pediatrician) depicting a child who appeared to be five years old but was actually three, I continue to nurse the babies past the American Association of Pediatrician's stated goal of one year. I'm treating Diane Wiessinger's awesome article this week in response to the controversy and ensuing discussion as a nod of encouragement and understanding. The boys are thriving and happy and don't NEED it but it's nice, and I'll keep it up as long as we all want to do it. The days I work full time they miss a daytime nursing, and now that they are sleeping through the night they miss one there, but they're still nursing between 3-4 times a day. Now when I say "who wants num-nums?" Theo goes "mmm! mmm!" and Beckett grins and giggles and crawls right over.
One Year Pediatrician visit:
Theo: 28 1/2 inches; 19 pounds, 13 ounces. 10th percentile for everything.
Beckett: 29 1/4 inches; 21 pounds, 6 ounces. 25th percentile for everything.
Both babies have quadrupled their weight in a year!
No comments:
Post a Comment