Thursday, August 23, 2012

This week's highlights

1) At the cottage on Sunday, Beck fell off the dock into the lake. He was pushing a folding chair along the deck with me just behind him. I thought I'd anticipated his speed appropriately and that I would catch the chair before it went in the water. I obviously misjudged, as the chair went in with Beck right behind it. There were six adults standing within two yards of where he fell in but I was in the best position to jump in after him and honestly didn't even think about it and jumped in next to him, kind of on top of the chair. I grabbed him, handed him to Jeff, and was out of the water to take him back before I even really knew what had happened. Beck appears to have experienced no ill effects from the fall. He was probably in the water for 1-2 seconds before I grabbed him. He did scrape his chin on something at some point that day, maybe during the fall but I'm not sure on what. Theo and Beckett definitely have depth perception and would not purposely walk off the dock but they certainly can misjudge time and space (as can their Mama) and are certainly capable of accidentally falling in. Good lesson for all of us.

2) Grandpa Stu has been painting our new deck! He came Monday to do a first coat, and I thought it would be a fun treat for the boys to watch him paint like it was to watch the machines outside on the road or the contractor build the deck. But in fact, because they know and love Grandpa Stu, they could not STAND that he was on the other side of the glass and wasn't hugging and cuddling them. So we had to leave the house and go to the park to let him work in peace, away from babies screaming to be let out to their Grandpa.



 3) Auntie Tara came over for a walk Monday afternoon and before it stopped raining we took some pictures of Theo with his favorite blonde aunt.


 4) The boys are both confidently going up and down stairs. Beck's preferred method is the butt-scoot, which is slow but secure. Theo's more of an improviser, holding on to the railing and walking down when he can and going down backwards (very quickly) when all else fails.




No comments:

Post a Comment