Anyone who knows Mama knows that one of my favorite activities is picking blueberries. It's actually a corollary to the favorite activity known as eating blueberries. Last summer seemed too early to introduce Theo and Beckett to picking, though they were already champs at eating blueberries. But this morning seemed as good a time as any, since Daddy Lovebo was playing golf and the day was only going to get hotter and more humid.
The boys were more successful at picking than I thought they would be. I assumed I would try to pick a few berries and put them away while they whined and ran into traffic. Instead, the boys were fairly interested in finding ripe berries ("good
one!" Beck would yell), though less interested in putting them in the
pail. Theo was an especially industrious picker and eater, but Beck was
pretty darn good, too. I think both ate a good half-pint at least. When I told them we would be going blueberry picking, the boys seemed unhappy at the prospect. I got them in the mood this morning by quoting some segments of old
favorite Blueberries for Sal. I wasn't sure if their initial trepidation
about going picking was related to Sal's losing her mother while they
are picking berries. I assured them that they would not get lost. Theo was most interested in the school bus and tractor located off to the side of the farm stand. While I was inside paying for the berries and a couple of other items of produce, Theo stood mesmerized by the bus and tractor, and Beck was thrilled to have the chance to "drive" the car.
No comments:
Post a Comment