Tonight Jeff was scheduled to judge a mock trial at the law school, and I was set to attend VOICES, a fundraiser for the Hiscock Legal Aid Society, so Grandma Joanie and Grandpa Stu were enlisted to extend their usual childcare day until I got home from my event. I went home, took a nap, and then I left at 5:15. At 5:20 I got a frantic call from Grandma Joanie that Theo had fallen on the rocking chair in the backyard and had a gash in his forehead. As Jeff is the designated "blood parent"--the parent who deals with blood and traumatic injuries (I am the vomit parent, if you must know)--I told my mom to call Jeff to go home and assess.
Jeff and Theo and Grandma Joanie went to the Upstate ER (no more screwing around with Community General pediatric ER and their lack of anesthesia options--thanks for providing an opportunity for us to learn about that, Beckett), and Grandpa Stu and Beckett stayed home. Then I went to pick up Grandma Joanie from the hospital so, after eating dinner, Joan and Stu could return to Ithaca. Beckett and I had a really wonderful night, with a long bath by himself and then reading books together. I was trying to keep him up at least a little later so the boys would be on close to the same schedule. Beck and I also needed some quiet time together. The one sour moment was when Jeff texted me a picture of Theo with his big bandage on his head, playing with a Hulk car set on his gurney. I thought, since Beck had been persistently asking if Theo was okay, that this would reassure Beck that indeed Theo was okay. But Beckett got teary and said he wanted to go to the doctor too! And then, will Theo bring that stuff home from the doctor? Geez, way to incentivize going to the ER, Bryn....
It's been close to five hours that they've been gone now but Jeff assures me that they are on their way and will be home soon. Theo was reportedly a fantastic patient, and did great with the two or three stitches (and some intranasal versed, hooray, to calm him for the stitches). We'll try to offer him some food, since he hasn't eaten since lunch (at the hospital they wouldn't let him eat in case he had to be sedated) and get him to bed. I'm guessing it will be a quiet, laid-back day at home tomorrow for Mama and the boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment