Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What about twins?

I am an occasional reader of Motherlode, the NYTimes blog about parenting and kids and such. Today the editors there highlighted an article about the spacing of children and the intellectual outcomes on the children, particularly the older children. From my reading of the abstract, not the article (I haven't been able to get the pdf to open on my computer, and haven't yet asked Daddy Lovebo for his technical assistance), it appears that the longer you wait between children, the better off the older children are. Does this mean Theo is disadvantaged? Discuss.

2 comments:

  1. Being an older twin myself, I don't think I was at all negatively impacted intellectually by my brother. He did succeed in teaching me patience, however, which I might not have learned if we were separated by more years. --Danielle Gorbach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Danielle! I think my guys are already infinitely more patient than I have ever been. They have to wait for their parents' and grandparents' attention if they are attending to the other baby, which means they wait for food, diaper changes, baths, etc. It would be great if they were more patient generally as a result!

    ReplyDelete