Tuesday, March 5: Went to Great Northern Mall to play on the play structure in the food court. Everything was going great (other kids were being friendly and polite, boys had lots of room to themselves) until I had a coughing fit for about 45 seconds. When I turned around, Beck was going down the slide but Theo was nowhere to be found. The area is not enclosed completely, and when I looked out into the food court, I saw two women looking down and then around. There are very few people in the mall at this time of day (11am on a Tuesday), so I figured they were looking at Theo and wondering where his mama was. I ran out to the food court, and one of the women said, "are you looking for a little boy?" I said yes, and they pointed me further down the hall. At that point, I was about 50 yards from the entrance to the play area--where Beck still was. I was still in my socks from being in the play area. I still hadn't seen Theo but there were practically no people in the mall. I decided to go back and get Beck and put my shoes on so I could run better. I ran back, put on my shoes, grabbed Beckett, and then ran back out. I was directed by a different woman around a corner toward more stores. About 100 yards away from the entrance to the play area, around a corner and about five storefronts down, Theo was running, full speed, arms pumping, in his socks, away from me. I never saw him look around or back. Just head down, running in his sweatpants and sweatshirt and tube socks. In all it was probably two or three minutes that I didn't see him. When I picked him up I was relieved but I can't say I was ever afraid of losing him. First, it's a very small mall. Second, there were practically no customers in the mall at the time. There were a few elderly mall walkers but truly, that was it. It was almost like Forrest Gump running through the desert. I could kind of tell where he was from the looks on people's faces as he passed them, though I couldn't see him, and I can't say I ever feared that he would disappear. I wasn't terrified, or even scared; I just knew I needed to get to him as soon as I could, and I didn't want to risk losing Beck on the hunt for Theo. We left once I had both of them in my arms, and I'm still deciding whether I can take them back there or not. I would feel more comfortable sitting in the doorway next time, but even still, I can't control having a coughing fit and I can't control if I'm attending to one of them and the other runs off. Though Theo is definitely more of a runner.... We'll see.
Earlier that morning at the mall play area:
Thursday, March 7: Grandpa Greg came to take care of the boys when Mindy and I had a miscommunication about childcare and Jeff had to leave for a trial competition in Brooklyn. I returned to very happy babies who were comfortable and calm after spending a great day with Grandpa Greg.
Friday, March 8: On my own with the boys, we hit up Wegmans and laid low. Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Greg arrived around 6:30 to put the boys to bed so I could go see a play with friends from work. The boys slept badly--it seemed like one of them was up almost every hour. I suspect at least Beck is getting his two year molars, as he is drooling a lot. They only woke briefly, mostly not even waking up except to yell out, but of course then I was awake. Then Theo inexplicably woke up at 5:45. Luckily he went back to sleep until 6:45.
Saturday, March 9: Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Greg entertained the boys and I ran an errand at the mall. They stayed most of the day, helping me get some cooking and laundry done while keeping the boys happy. I slept during their entire nap that afternoon. I wasn't sure what to do
with daylight savings time so I kept the boys up until 8:30, past their
usual 8pm bedtime. I think it worked, because Theo slept til 6:45 time,
and Beck slept til 8!
Sunday, March 10: Auntie Tara and Puppy came over for some cuddles and a walk in the park on a warm, sunny morning. It feels like it's almost time to play on the playground in the park! Daddy Lovebo got home at about 1am after a very long weekend away for everyone. I tired not of time with the boys alone but of all the responsibility for taking care of everything in the house, and so many repetitive tasks. But his team won the tournament and is on to Nationals!
Monday-Wednesday: Attempting a coup at Mama's office. No big deal. I'll report more later.
Thursday: Home with the boys, doing laundry and folding diapers and cleaning and taking care of a million things I haven't been able to while I've been working this week. And lots of reading, cuddles and building blocks with the boys!
No comments:
Post a Comment