Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Developmental update

The boys had a great weekend at Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Greg's (with whom Uncle Jon is also living) so that Mama and Daddy Lovebo could attend the nuptials of dear friend Mac and new friend Elizabeth. Our baby-loving friend Lauren came along with us for the ride and is a great traveling buddy as she is a great buddy in all other aspects. We took NO PICTURES of the entire weekend, which is ridiculous. But we had a great time, I promise.

This morning we visited with our service coordinator from the Onondaga Health Dept. who will arrange our Early Intervention evaluation for Theo. I was relieved that she told me not to be surprised if we did not qualify for any services after his speech pathology evaluation. She noted lots of receptive hearing and many different sounds, as well as lots of non-speech skills. I would be very happy if he was found to have good hearing and good building blocks for speech, which would then mean he doesn't need any hearing interventions like tubes or speech therapy.

We continue to have fits and starts with the potty. Theo usually pees in the potty once a day, but Beck often gets angry at the mere suggestion of using the potty. They both often wake up from naps or in the morning with dry diapers, but so far have refused to use the potty immediately upon waking, so then the first diaper gets soaked just a few minutes after wakeup. I suspect it's just too exciting to wake up and play with toys or go outside that they don't want to waste those first few minutes sitting on the potty, even when they have full bladders. I'm trying to encourage the potty as often as I think of it, knowing that I will be refused most of the time. I'm thankful that they are interested and I'm trying to keep it fun and positive.

The boys are pretty much eating what we eat for dinner now, and they have switched to skim milk (what Mama and Daddy Lovebo drink). They eat cereal (Cheerios for Beckett, a mix of Cheerios and Golden Grahams for Theo) and milk for breakfast. For lunch they eat some combination of scrambled eggs, toast, leftovers (especially rice and beans--a favorite), applesauce, fruit, raw or cooked veggies, vegan chicken patties, veggie burgers, macaroni and cheese, yogurt, sliced turkey, or grilled cheese. It's a huge relief to have them eating what we eat for dinner. They still sometimes don't eat much but I think they understand now that if they don't eat what we eat, they don't eat anything. Neither of the boys eats much meat, still, and we have had a couple meals of chicken that Beck has refused altogether. Theo is still the more adventurous eater, trying just about anything in front of him.

The boys are using a lot of positional words now: over, under, in, on, etc. They are really enjoying new books they received for their birthdays, especially The Gruffalo, a picture truck book, and an Eric Carle words book. Fire trucks and lawnmowers are the favorite toys and thing to talk about, as well as the favorite book subject. Just wait until the boys' first trip to the Cayuga Heights Fire Station!

No comments:

Post a Comment