Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Twin-specific development update

One of the most fun things about watching the boys learning language and trying out new words is their development of words and phrases that must be more developed because they are twins. One of Beck's first words showing relatedness between two things was "other" as in, "other car" or "other vroom" or "other sock". I think it's because he is always trying to figure out which is his, and which is Theo's. There are only a few things that they have really claimed as their own, or at least only a few things that they each recognize as the other's property: Beck has the red car that steers, and Theo has the yellow bulldozer ride on; Beckett has the potty under the linen closet, and Theo has the potty next to the dresser. Besides those few things, they don't really have their own toys. There's a way in which that is sad, because if they were only children they would have a world of toys and experiences all their own, but also a way in which I find it pretty cool that they have shared so much and have a built-in friend and playmate forever. "My" is actually a relatively recent vocabulary addition for both boys, which I think speaks to their not being that aware of which is theirs. When they beat their chests and say "The-The" or "Buh-Buh," I usually understand them to mean that they would like to play with the toy (or read with Mama, or drink some milk), not that the thing is theirs and theirs alone.

Yesterday when I came home from work the boys asked me to read to them. They climbed up on my lap and we started reading Extra Yarn and Amos McGee, two new books from Mike and Emily that are already favorites of the boys. I touched Theo's collar for some reason and he giggled. Then Beck reached over and tickled Theo. Theo erupted into giggles. They kept going for about a minute, with Beck alternating from Theo's neck to his belly. Pretty awesome, right?

We're approaching the two-year anniversary of the boys' due date, June 15. I think now that we probably should have delayed their two-year pediatrician appointment and any reference to developmental milestones, because Theo is busting out with all kinds of new words, and making all kinds of multi-word sentences. If we were making the decision today, we probably wouldn't have asked for Early Intervention for him. But we'll go through with it now, since it's already scheduled, and learn whatever we can from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment