Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Beckett's cast: the saga continues

Today Beckett and I (and Reed eventually, but that's another story) returned to the orthopedic doctor to get his cast off and get another one put on. He was a great sport throughout and was very personable with everyone we met, which I think plumb tuckered him out because he passed out in the car on the way home and didn't wake up for at least 20 minutes after I parked the car in the driveway.

Anyway, this orthopedic practice would have kept this cast on for the full four weeks but because it was kind of disintegrating they decided to remove it and put on a water resistant cast for the remainder of the time, which will end up being about three weeks. But assuming everything is good on September 1, his cast will be off for Labor Day weekend and for the start of school the following week!

We had talked to Beck about how there would be a loud noise when the saw cut through his cast to remove it, so he was prepared, but I was kind of amazed at how gleeful he was to watch the whole process! He also loved picking out the color of his new cast (which I haven't taken a picture of!). He picked dark blue, like Superman. This new cast allows for his leg to be straighter and covers less of his thigh and feet. He also now has a cast shoe so he can walk around (though before the appointment today he started spontaneously walking around the house in the old, much more bent cast).







No comments:

Post a Comment