Yesterday Kelly and I took the boys to Green Lakes State Park. I'd never been in the water but I thought with the sand and warm-ish shallow water it would be a good place for the boys to try out a beach. It was a huge success, if you ignore the pervasive sand that continues to haunt our stuff. I didn't know to bring beach toys (duh, you might say) but Beck wrested this green shovel from an older girl who tried to snatch it back from him with my help but her mother said they had lots and he could have it, while the girl scowled at us. I'll have to hit up the dollar store soon to get some more stuff like it and a mesh bag to hold all the gear before the next time we go.
Both boys but Beck in particular love anywhere where they can roam freely. Though a public beach with ready access to water and cigarette butts (a favorite of Beck's) requires especially close supervision, which is why a 1:1 ratio is crucial.
The water was actually really lovely. It was a very hot day and the boys loved walking in up to their chins, grinning the whole time. Both took some good falls face-first into the water but didn't seem to mind. Theo especially loves to drink any water he's put in (bath, pool, lake) so he ingested a fair bit of lake water, but I felt less yucky about it than either the bathwater or the pool water.
No comments:
Post a Comment