First things first: I had a total thyroidectomy yesterday and everything went really well. I arrived at the hospital at about 5:15am and was in surgery by 8:00. The afternoon was rough as I came out of the anesthesia and adjusted to the soreness and stiffness in my neck but because I was doing so well (and wanted to get home to the babies) I was discharged around 6:30pm. The surgeon got the whole thing out and everything went perfectly. I really finally feel like the worst is over, and I am on the way up.
My endocrinologist visited me in the hospital and was really happy with how the surgery had gone and how I was recovering. I was glad my mom got to meet her and see what I love about her. She talked a little bit about how scared she had been when I first came in four weeks ago after I had been in the hospital, and that she really did not know what was going to happen to me. But she said I am through the "dark dark forest" and that I am going to be perfectly fine. It's a huge relief.
We have been blessed with lots of delicious meals and food this week, which has been awesome with everyone here. Jeff's mom Kathy left this afternoon and his dad Greg was here yesterday and this morning. My dad was here yesterday and came back again this afternoon after work. Heidi and Meghan brought food Sunday and Monday, and Divya brought another meal for tonight. Everything has been amazing and it has been a huge gift not to have to worry about food. The Women's Bar Association Board has been amazing and I am so grateful to have gotten to know these amazing women. Deb and Renee sent over an Edible Arrangement and Mary and Danielle sent a Wegmans gift card. I can't believe everyone's generosity. The babies have been keeping everyone smiling and laughing. Apparently they were a little stressed out yesterday (possibly reflecting the stress felt by Kathy and Joan waiting at home to hear news about the surgery) but I think they were back to normal today.
I feel uniquely qualified to rate the hospitals where I have been admitted this year, of which there have been four (five hospitalizations, four different hospitals). St. Joe's, where I had the surgery, wins the award for best food. By far. Though they sure were stingy with bringing it at first. I liked that they brought two desserts with every meal. I'm a big fan of that policy. And not some crappy gelatanous ice cream like at Crouse. I got cream puffs and berry jello for dinner dessert at St. Joe's, and rice pudding with real whipped cream with a dusting of cocoa powder for lunch dessert. Not too shabby! And to be fair, when I really bitched about not getting food after I got out of surgery and had nursed once and pumped breastmilk three times since I had last eaten, they did bring me two containers of yogurt and a bunch of milk and juice. After offering me graham crackers and toast. I looked at her like, you idiot, I just had throat surgery and was intubated. My dad actually called her an imbecile. Which wasn't very nice but was true. The lactation nurse who came down from maternity to help me pump when I got out of recovery was awesome, and so I rate the lactation nurses at St. Joe's better than Crouse because no one at Crouse was as helpful or friendly (or attractive, but that shouldn't really figure into the ratings). The room was a tie for the crappiest room I have been in (tied with St. Luke's in NYC). It was bad enough to be in a tiny cubicle twice the size of the hospital bed, in a double room where the woman next to me watched/listened to Fox News all day (seriously I thought I was in hell). But she also had some kind of bladder or urinary problem so the bathroom was a total disaster and reeked of old stale pee all day that was never cleaned up. I thought Jeff was going to boot the first time he went in. So St. Joe's gets serious demerits for lack of cleanliness. The nurse I had when I first got to the post-surgery floor was not very nice and in general they weren't very responsive or friendly or helpful. They seemed very understaffed and busy. I always worry about patients without advocates with them, especially advocates as pushy as Jeff and my parents. I worry that they don't get food, or help to the bathroom, or pain medication. And I'm grateful for my advocates who never left me alone and who got me everything I needed.
So from here on out, things should get better every day. My voice still isn't great so I'm not great on the phone yet, and my neck is still pretty sore and stiff so it's hard to move around a lot and I look a little suspicious because I can't turn my head that much so I just look around shiftily. But I think I'm getting better all the time. I'm going to try to keep resting some each day the rest of the week and then we'll see if I can get some help for next week, when Jeff will be in New York City Tuesday through Thursday. I have a babysitter lined up for Monday afternoon for one doctor appointment and another for Wednesday's doctor appointment, and Lauren's going to help out with at least one other night for the witching hour and putting to bed. Thank you to everyone for the calls, emails, texts, food, and good thoughts sent our way--every little bit has helped and I am so grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment