Last week at the Regional Market Grandma Joanie and I bought some butternut squash and some apples to make baby food. Today Beck and Theo were patient enough to give me time to cut, bake and puree the squash. It's now freezing in the brand new chest freezer. I'm going to work on the apples over the weekend.
After the baby food making experiment, Beck seemed hungry. I started feeding him but he seemed very distracted. He kept starting to eat, then pulling away and looking around. This happened multiple times before my milk really let down, and then Beck really got it. Note the beads of milk all over his face and up over his head.
All weekend Grandpa Stu went on and on about how we should be feeding the boys solids. The pediatrician suggested we could start solids any time between four and six months. We are two weeks away from six months, so Stu has been badgering us to get going. I think he thinks it will be fun.
Monday, almost accidentally and quite casually, Grandma Joanie gave Beckett some mashed banana which he seemed really to enjoy. Jeff bought some rice cereal a week or so ago that we've been delaying opening. Today I went through all the eating supplies we received as gifts--bowls, cups, spoons, forks, cups and lots of other great stuff from my cousin Barb and friends Linda and Jess. It was fun to see it all and imagine the boys using it so soon.
Tara stopped by after work today to play with the babies (pronounced "super cute!") and give me all the news. Then when Jeff got home it just seemed like the right time to try some rice cereal. Unfortunately Beck fell asleep, just fell fast asleep, in my arms as we were getting it ready. I tried to jam some in to his mouth but he was pretty sleepy.
Theo, on the other hand, was ALL OVER the rice cereal. I think he's really ready to be eating more real food! He ate the entire portion of cereal--and even wanted to hold the spoon himself. I feel like he grew up tonight!
There are still a few things I have to figure out about this solid food thing, like: do we do it every day? Every meal? If we're mixing the cereal and thinning the veggies and fruits with breastmilk, does that mean I have to start pumping every day again so we have enough to mix with? For now I think we'll do it when it's convenient, as a fun family activity rather than as real sustenance, and keep up with the breastfeeding as much as the boys want. But I'm amazed at how much they seem to like food! And it is fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment