Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sleep

I have read several twin-specific childrearing books, and then of course the La Leche books, and none presents a realistic, clear approach to sleep training children who are exclusively breastfed. My goals are to have them sleeping 8-10 hours in a row at night, preferably (if I'm having a fairy godmother moment) 10pm-8am. Could be 9pm-7am. After having read the Amazon.com reviews for Twelve Hours by Twelve Weeks (do I have time to read the actual book instead of just the Amazon.com reviews? NO! If I did, I wouldn't need the damn book!), it appears that the strategy is to adapt the children slowly to one feeding per night and then none. After a rough night Sunday (which required several walk-ins to soothe Theo without feeding, though still only one feeding), Monday and Tuesday night went super well. Both Beck and Theo only woke up once between 9:30pm-6:00 am. I awoke Wednesday feeling like a new woman! Each morning they played for a little while after eating at 6am, and then went back to sleep for 40 minutes or so (enough time for me to put in a load of laundry and eat breakfast) before waking up for another hour or two for baths or playing. Then both Tuesday and Wednesday they took long (2-4 hour) naps from late morning to mid-afternoon.

Last night Theo was a beast, waking up a whole bunch of times. I gave up and fed him at 1:30. I think part of the problem is that they are still in the same crib and beat on each other in the night with the leg- and arm-flailing. They do better swaddled (both because they don't move as much toward each other and because their arms and/or legs are contained) but when it's hot I don't want to swaddle them up completely, and if I just swaddle their arms sometimes they work their arms up so the blanket completely covers their faces, which seems like a bad idea.

I would like to hear suggestions about how to get them on my dream schedule. I am not interested in any strategy that requires crying it out, mostly because I don't want to hear my babies crying and do not think it is good for them but also because-remember?!?-we have two babies, and one crying means the other is not sleeping either. Please post ideas and suggestions in the comments! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment